Friday, October 10, 2014
This is how the workout looked broken down:
Warm up mile
90 second rest
90 second rest
90 second rest
Cool down mile
Typically, research shows that if you are applying mile repeats as a workout leading up to shorter races like 5K/10K, you shorten the rest so your anaerobic threshold increases. If you are training for a longer race like a 13.1 or 26.2, you raise the number of repeats and the rest periods while lowering the pace. Since I am trying to gauge where I am fitness wise heading into a 5K next weekend, I wanted to see what I could bang out with short rests.
Although I am not in the shape I was last fall, I am now confident I can go under 20:00 next weekend. That is all I can ask for right now. If I had another month to train, I could probably get down to 19:30ish, but I am happy where I am headed.
Thursday, October 9, 2014
I won't say that all of a sudden I am just going to dive into this whole theory and run strictly on an 80/20 program. However, I do recognize the need for easy, comfortable days of running. It bodes well for my future to be smart with my body and rest when needed, jog when needed, and supplement with hard workouts.
Today, I ran a 45 minute run and finished up about 5.25 miles. The pace is just about 8:35/mile and I am happy with it. Tomorrow I will be running mile repeats and it will be my hard effort day I will look to maximize.
Wednesday, October 8, 2014
I love to follow up a long run the day before with a walk of around 30-45 minutes. It helps loosen up the whole body and I can get in the mindset or what's coming up in my next workouts. After completing the 15 miler, my body was slightly sore in the right places and pain free besides.
Also, after putting together a few long runs over the last month or so, I feel good about fueling during my runs again. I'm not a big fan of fueling but I realize the importance and I just deal with it. It helps to be consistent because I can tolerate it better.
Finally, I have been really lucky weather wise lately. It has been absolutely perfect during all my runs and walks over the last couple weeks. It certainly helps getting workouts in and enjoying them.
Tuesday, October 7, 2014
Today's 15 mile run is my longest run in months and I held a pace of 8:20/mile over the course of the run. My fastest splits were 8:04 and 8:05 and my slowest mile splits were 8:40 and 8:44. For the most part, I was locked into a middle range and held pace pretty well.
The fitness is building. It's time to build speed. My plan for Friday is to do 3 mile repeats at a slightly slower pace, just under 7:00/mile pace. I had been putting up screaming numbers in my pace for my previous speed work and I think it was inhibiting the amount I was able to complete. I want to dial it back and lengthen the workout Friday.
Enjoy the day and get out for a run. At least here, it is beautiful.
Monday, October 6, 2014
I ran 5 miles today in around 44 minutes while listening to Matt and Scott talk about several topics, mainly 80/20 Running. It is basically the research based training idea that 80% of your running should be done at a slow pace/low effort. The remaining 20% would then be done at a hard effort.
I will not get into too much, but it's good listening and I love to hear lots of info so I can decide how I want to proceed with my own training. I look forward to reading the book.
I kept it light today in my own 5 miler mainly because tomorrow is going to be the 15 miler I missed last week.
P.S. My diet needs an overhaul:)